Monday, August 24, 2009

Birthday Dream


I had a dream about you the other night. I was standing in a house and someone came inside and said, "Claire is outside." They said it so nonchalantly and I looked out the window - and there you were. I was so excited to see you and we hugged. We sat down on a bench in the yard and you told me about all of the adventures you had been on the last few years and all of the far-away and exotic places you'd gone. I remembered that you had always seemed happiest at home - surrounded by family and friends, so it was strange to hear you talk of these places - I was so happy that I could see you and talk to you - and then I woke up. The first thing I remembered was that I had hugged you - and it had seemed so real.

The next day I had this nagging feeling all day - like I was forgetting something important. I went through a list of friends and family who have birthdays in August and I made a mental note to check my birthday book later... the next morning I woke up and remembered. It was the 23rd of August and that meant yesterday was your birthday. I remembered when we were kids we always thought it was so cool that we were a year, a month and a day apart (we'd always expand it to include an hour, a minute, a second and a millisecond apart).

Happy Birthday Claire!
Love ya & miss ya,
Your cousin suz


1 comment: